Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Spinning Wheels to Move Forward

Today marks the 11th day of my new exercise regimen for 2009, and I've now pedaled my way through 4 hours and 40 minutes on a stationary exercise bike in my basement. Although this is small potatoes to anyone who takes their workouts seriously, I've found the experience has already had a major impact on how I feel each day - I've got more energy and a sense of being more alert. There's a dietary component as well, but I don't expend much mental energy on it because my spouse already takes care of that department far better than I ever could. When it comes to food, I'd rather just eat healthy stuff than think about it. By contrast, during exercise I have time to think about all kinds of things.

There's no reason anyone but me should care about this post, which is purely personal, so the obvious question is: why bother cluttering up the net with it? Well, I've found that getting something down in writing can be helpful in enabling me to sustain some plan of action, so this seems as good an outlet as any. The "diary" format of the blog also gives me the temporal dimension, so I can post little updates at the end of essays on other topics. And, with the extra energy and focus I seem to be deriving from this plan so far, I hope there will be quite a few essays coming down the pike. We'll see...

No comments: